TRAVEL HERE: IT’S PUMPKIN TIME AT DALLAS ARBORETUM, AUTUMN AT THE ARBORETUM 2015
It’s All About the Pumpkins
The Fall Festival at our Dallas Arboretum is something special, but you don’t have to believe me. Ask Fodor’s Travel. They say it’s one of “America’s Best Pumpkin Festivals.” Or go and check it out yourself. It won’t take you long to know why Dallasites and visitors alike flock to DABS this time of year.
This year’s theme is “Everything’s Bigger in Texas” so they’ve recreated an Old Texas Town in Pecan Grove, but they built it with pumpkins. You can visit the General Store, the Post Office, the Blacksmith and the Jail. There’s a covered wagon and a Cinderella Carriage. There’s even a creek for gold mining.
Supplementing the pumpkin count this year are squash and gourds. All told there are 75000 in 52 varieties.One of my favorite things in Pecan Grove is an area where they have put out samples of each variety and put up signs with their names. When it comes to corn there are 1500 ears of corn and 1200 corn stalks. Throughout the garden you’ll find 150,000 blooming flowers and plants.
Plenty to Do for Kids of All Ages
Kids are going to love the Pecan Grove. You can let them loose to wander,imagine and play. However, during the festival there are activities for everyone. Here’s a sampling:
- Harvest Teas – 11AM & 2 PM, Mondays – Fridays Restaurant DeGolyer
- Mommy & Me Mondays & Tiny Tot Tuesdays with petting zoo, nature crafts and more
- Oktoberfest Garten – at Cafe’ on the Green
- Live Music – Piano Melodies by Keith Schmorr( daily 11-2), Garden Melodies (Weekends 10-4), Spanish Guitar (Sats noon-4 & Suns 1-4), Cool Thursday Concerts
- and more and more and more
Ways to Save
General admission to the garden is $15, but there are discounts galore:
- $1 off tickets at Tom Thumb
- BOGO Wednesdays
- Senior Thursdays ($11 senior tickets & 20% discount gift shop
- State Fair Ticket Discount during fair ($2 off with 2015 State Fair admission stub)
- Red River Shoot Out on Texas-OU Weekend ($5 off with UT or OU gear)
- Family Fun Oct 24-25 (Adults in costumes pay kids price)
- Dallas Food Bank Nov 2-6 ($1 off for cans of food up to $5)
- Veterans Day Nov 11( Veterans, Active Duty Military & first Responders, free with ID)
- Teachers & Educators (Complimentary admission with ID)
Bottom Line? The gardens are gorgeous during Autumn at the Arboretum and you need to go to this visual feast. A picture being worth a thousand words, imagine the economy of showing you all of these photos. I hope you enjoy them. Come back next week to get the scoop on Richardson’s Cottonwood Arts Festival in Cottonwood Park.