HEADING TO HEATH: WILL WE FIND A PLACE TO LIVE?
I believe in the power of prayer and friendship. Early on a Saturday morning I made a post on Facebook, “Mission Find-a-Rental is in full swing. I’m hearing a lot of ‘But you have to sign a year’s lease!’, ‘Pets? I don’t think so!’, and ‘Sorry, it’s been leased.’ I think I need a little prayer coverage on this project.”
Help Was on the Way
Almost immediately things improved. I got some good advise on next steps and the prayer warriors went to work. One friend offered a guest room. Another offered up a one bedroom condo. Another friend had just bought a rental property and offered it “friend-priced” and without a lease term. None of those exactly fit the criteria we’d set, but they were all better than homeless.
That afternoon we ventured out to look at some properties, hoping that someone would fall in love with us, in spite of our pets and our six months lease. The pickings were mighty slim. There was our friend’s new rental, but it was about twenty miles and $3.92 toll away from Heath, not to mention that the “friend price” was still a little steep for our budget. There was one house in Rockwall we’d seen, but we hadn’t confessed we only wanted six months, yet. We had an appointment to see a house in Wylie on Sunday and were trying to get an appointment with another.
The Sunday Tour
So, Bill wasn’t crazy about the house we toured. We drove by every other possible rental in all the communities on the eastern side of Dallas, but each one seemed worse than the other. We were stumped. We decided that first thing Monday morning we’d confess to the Rockwall agent that we wanted a six months lease. If Rockwall rejected us, that left my friend’s house. Still no more perfect than it had been the day before, but looking a whole lot better.
Down to the Wire
Monday marked thirty days until we had to be out of our house. Bill called up the Rockwall agent, did his best sales thing and was shut down – completely. Other than that, we had one more appointment we’d set. We decided to go see my friend’s house after that, because then we’d know there were no other options. Our budget would be busted and every time we went to the build, we’d pay about $8 in tolls. That adds up fast.
What were we going to do? Come back next week and I promise, there’s still hope.